Wednesday 29 June 2011

The Most Common Question Newly Diagnosed Diabetics Ask

Q: Did anyone else feel like their life was over when they were told they were diabetic?  

I'm depressed and scared - please help!  

A: Whether they want to admit it or not, most diabetics were  scared when their doctor said to them - "You have diabetes". 

No one wants to hear those words.
 

I suspected it and it was still a big shock to hear those words.


Diabetes killed my grandmother and I saw firsthand how much she suffered. That only served to make me more diligent about controlling my blood glucose, so that I don't suffer the same fate.

So, yes, everyone is scared of what it means, but the good thing is that now you know what's wrong and you can start taking control of your health.


There will always be things you can't control, but you CAN control what you put in your mouth and how much insulin or other meds you take, and how much exercise you get.


Life is NOT over. Your life has just taken a different path that the one you thought you were on. 


Look at this as an opportunity to get your health back on track, and you'll be able to look back in a couple of years and say it was the best thing that ever happened to you, because it was the day your life started to turn around for the better.

I'm doing much better than I was the day I was diagnosed, and you can too.


No comments:

Post a Comment