Monday 26 January 2015

Protect Yourself at the Hospital!


Next time you're in the hospital, make sure you do your own insulin injections and that you keep your pen in your room, and label the body of the pen, NOT the cap. 

Thousands of hospital patients were exposed to HIV, Hep and other blood bourne diseases by nursing staff switching the CAPS of the pens, and using the pen on more than one patient. 

Pens MUST be specific to ONE patient. 

There is now evidence that there IS some backwash, which contaminates the insulin, making it very risky for more than one person to use a pen. 

In hospitals, there ARE going to be diabetics with HIV or Hep. 

Protect yourself! 

This is why I always keep my testing kit and insulin with my personal property and refuse to let nurses handle my equipment or insulin. If they want to test my blood glucose I insist that I do the lancing with my own lancing device and then let them collect the blood sample for their device. This way I am not exposed to any risk if proper proceedures have not been followed. Sharing lancing devices isn't safe, even if you change the lancet, because there is minute blood splatter all over and inside the lancing device. 

http://insulinnation.com/treatment2/medicine-drugs/pen-reuse/


No comments:

Post a Comment